Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 10: Naples and Pompeii

Sunday we attempted to go to church in Naples. Little did we know our excursion would include a funicular ride. (no, John, that link is safe from my rick rolling ways, but you don't need to read about them anyway, since you were there with me)

The address we had for the building was closed, presumably due to General Conference. We rode the funicular all the way up to enjoy the view and make sure our trip was not for naught.

It was a peaceful area and we walked up the sloped sidewalks to a castle, then rode back down to change clothes.
We started looking for lunch when we got back, but most places were closed. Weird. Maybe because it was Sunday?? We had a hard time believing Neapolitans were more devout than other Italians, but couldn't think of another explanation. Then, while walking along, minding our own business, we heard some crazy noises. Like fireworks/cannons/gunshots. People came running out into the streets screaming bloody murder and scared the daylights out of me. Cars started honking and John realized they were cheering. Naples' soccer team had scored a goal.
Mystery solved. The only places open for business had the game on. Everyone stopped what they were doing when things got exciting again. So we joined in.

Then we took the metro over to Pompeii. The lemons in this area are amazing. There are many varieties, some of which are the size of John's head. The lemonade they make is delish, although not as sweet as I'm accustomed to.

We learned that before the eruption that covered Pompeii, the two points of Mt. Vesuvius we see now joined at the top into one large volcano. Pretty crazy.

John with a plaster person. The archaeologists noticed air pockets while excavating and filled them, then removed the surrounding debris. They were left with these human shapes.

I'll try to tone down the history lessons now. I just find these tidbits of knowledge so fascinating.

Admiring what frescoes Napoleon apparently didn't find interesting enough to steal.

Streets. The city was so big, we only explored sections of it.

Including this brothel. The bed and pillow are made of stone. Comfy.

A "fast-food joint" as Rick Steves calls them. Surprisingly, people ate out a lot back then.

Ampitheatre

Walking back

They also have homeless dogs throughout the site intentionally. They feed and care for them, but also encourage guests to adopt. A little strange, since I assume most Pompeii visitors are from out of town/country. But cool idea I guess.

An overview of part of the city.

John was anxious to get home and back to bed. Poor guy. I finished several crosswords that night.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe nobody has commented about this post. If nothing else, they should all be in awe of the word 'funicular'. I have no idea what that is, but I'm sure I want to ride on one or in one or near one or whatever you do with them. I have always been fascinated with Pompeii. You may teach me all the history lessons your heart desires and I will sit in rapt attention. I love that John is sleeping with a smile on his face under that very exciting yellow striped blanket.
    PS Whenever I mention that Joseph is on his mission on the island of Pohnpei, people think I am talking about Pompeii. I wonder if Joseph would have any success teaching those plaster persons?

    ReplyDelete