Pages

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Scott Goes to Preschool

I found a program at our elementary school that I thought sounded great for Scott. It's a parent-participation, donation-based preschool that is designed for teaching children with special needs, but they take a few mainstream kids for each class to help set examples. It's only 2 1/2 hours, twice a week, a half mile from home and 8 kids with a teacher, aide and parent volunteer. Scott was so excited to go all summer until there was no school bus involved.
 He cried when I didn't stay and Jonah cried when I didn't leave him there, too.
 They both cried about a half hour. Scott didn't make eye contact or talk in class and Jonah wouldn't sleep. After class I let Scott pick a treat and he chose smoothies. Jonah finally crashed on the drive over and napped on the bench while Scott and I had a smoothie.
 After they only cried about 10 minutes on the second day of class, I promised another special treat. We needed to go to Target, so they had their first ICEE, which Jonah called spicy.
 Scott warned Jonah about taking little bites so his head didn't get cold. He didn't listen.
 The next week, there were no more tears, but still hesitation for both of them. Jonah required a backpack for the walk over, too.
Scott said he'd go back to school next year when Jonah is 3 like him because he needs to be with his best friend. He chose his favorite rainbow shirt for picture day.
The 3rd week I helped his teacher, Miss Angela, in class and he likes when I stay with him, but goes willingly on his own. He says his favorite part is playing with trains with Ty and going on the playground.
It's interesting seeing him around his peers. He's the only one that stays in the lines when coloring and painting and can do connect-the-dots and lacing. His teacher said he's the best with numbers and is very obedient. He's also shy and needs to work on social skills like talking and participating with songs, etc. I think as he warms up to his environment he'll relax and be more himself. I love that he has an opportunity to be around other kids and adults without any of us there to hide behind. He seldom does anything without Jonah and I think it's good for him. They also learn new songs and do a cooking project once a week and read new books and do a craft each day. It's things I wish I did more regularly at home with him and am grateful someone else is doing all the planning and prepwork.

1 comment:

  1. Dang he's come far in a short amount of time. Last Thursday he left your side with no problems at all. Hopped right off the bench when he saw his teacher and was first in line to go into the classroom. :)

    ReplyDelete