Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Demo Happy

Once our converted garage became available, we were itching to start working on it. 
 Here are some before pictures
 The cabinets had some termite damage before we moved in, so we knew we'd eventually need to replace them.
 We didn't want to rip everything out just for cosmetic reasons, although there were many: a laundry room with only washer hook-ups,

wood paneling galore,
window boxes that prevented curtains,

 lots of scratches and dings,
 doors that didn't stay closed on their own,
 funky, ill-used spaces,
 with what appears to be water damage,
poor lighting,
 chipped and missing floor tiles,
 awkward shelving in the middle of the wall,
 features that we didn't know what their purpose was,
 light switches and lamps that didn't work,
 unevenness that prevented the door from opening all the way . . .
So John broke out the crow bar and got to work on the paneling and I took a putty knife to the flooring.
It was not long before we discovered the presents the termites left behind and were all the more convinced this project was necessary.
 After Scott's nap he came in to supervise.
 Taking a quick breather/eater.
 After about 3 hours we had to take out the debris to make more room.
 And another three hours after that, two walls, part of the ceiling and the main room floor were cleared.
We have another demo day ahead of us, then we'll start piecing back together. We're still thinking about what we'd like to do with the space. The plan is drywall and carpeting and we could use some storage, but beyond that we are open to suggestions.


  1. Wow, I had no idea how many issues were going on it that room. I'm excited to see how it ends up looking.

  2. I can't wait to see the finished product! Im thinking a stripper pole would go great in that huge space ;)