Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

Jonah's Arrival

I had been having some labor-prepping symptoms since Thursday night, mostly a lower backache, but it all came and went and never progressed to anything painful.
Sunday night I asked my mom to stay over just in case so we could leave in the middle of the night without waking up Scott. I woke up at 3:30 Monday morning feeling gross and couldn't go back to sleep. I started feeling worse around 4:30 and woke John up. We determined it wasn't active labor and decided to try to get some more sleep. As soon as I laid down, though, I felt instantly worse. As I sat back up my water broke. It was 4:40.
We left immediately for the hospital and called John's mom to fill her in and then the labor & delivery department. They said I could shower, labor at home for 2-3 hours then come in and get checked. I said we were actually driving over already.
I was having contractions that I felt mostly in my back every 4-5 minutes on the drive over. They didn't hurt very badly yet. We checked into the hospital at 5:32 and I was 6cm. I asked for an epidural and they took me to a delivery room where they tried a few times to get an IV in. Over the next 45 minutes the contractions became closer and stronger, but mostly in my back and still easily bearable. The anesthesiologist finally came in the room about 6:15 and Karen and Alan left. I was 7cm. As she was getting things ready for the epidural and I debated out loud whether or not I should get it, I went to an 8. She said I could still have one, but it may not take effect in time. I didn't feel like I could sit up for it, much less hold still while she did it. So I told her it'd be over soon and I'd just stick it out.
The next contraction really hurt and I yelled out. I told the nurse I felt a lot of pressure and she called the doctor. The next contraction I felt him move down and said, "he's coming out!" A swarm of medical personnel came into the room and I felt half of his head out already. A doctor came in to catch him as I pushed out the rest of his head, then the next push his shoulders and little body came out, too.
Jonah William Crapo was born at 6:37 am at 7 pounds, 8.5 ounces and 20 inches long. 
The labor/delivery I had been dreading for months was over and nowhere near as bad as I had anticipated. 
The nurse said she was surprised when I had him so soon because I was so composed. Jonah's birth was so much easier than Scott's. I was at the hospital a full hour, the contractions never became as intense or painful and I didn't tear as much. I'm glad they took their sweet time bringing the epidural because I really didn't need it.
Little Jonah was born bright red and crying. He settled down when he snuggled on me and was ready to eat. After the doctor finished with stitches I let John have a turn holding Jonah and taking in that sweet newborn smell. We were both so relieved to have him out safe and sound.
 Then he slept through several family members visiting.
Amanda and Russell came, Karen and Alan were there (Alan left for work before we took a picture with him)
 One of my best friends, Britta, came right before her flight back to Japan. I'm selfishly glad her first two flights didn't work out so she could meet Jonah before going home.
When Scott woke up, my mom brought him to meet his new little brother, but that's another post for another day.

4 comments:

  1. It just cracks me up that no one really believed you about how quick your labors are. I bet John ends up catching the next one because they come out so quickly. Better get ready John!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and also congratulations! He is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I love his name and he is so cute. I can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are definitely the "pro" at labor and delivery. Oh, and at making cute babies!

    ReplyDelete