Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Fruity Weekend

Thanks mostly to Alan's delivery, we found ourselves with an abundance of fruit this week. I finished my paper for school a little bit early Friday and got to work.
 I also needed some extra magnesium, which poppy seeds have, so first up was lemon poppy seed muffins. I used this recipe, but omitted zest and added a lemon glaze on top instead.
 Since John and raw apples don't get along, I made some applesauce. I never knew how easy and fast it was. I peeled and chopped 4 huge apples, then cooked them with 3/4 c. water, 1/8 c. brown sugar and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon for 20 minutes. I blended them in the Ninja and voila. He said it tastes like his grandmothers' applesauce, which I took as a compliment.
 We shared the muffins, so they did not last long. During my insomnia this morning I replaced them with banana bread. I make it in a 9x13 now instead of a loaf pan because John likes the banana breadstick texture instead of the traditional moist slices. As you can see, it's not likely to go stale with John around.
We also ate some real food, not just baked goods. I used some lemons for a strawberry, spinach, pecan salad using Katie's dressing recipe.
 And John put his new apron and spatula to work making dinner.
Our backyard oranges are still a little tangy, which made for really delicious orange chicken.
Overall an excellent use of fruit.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the poppy seed muffins. The lemon glaze was super delicious. It appears that you did, indeed, have a very fruitful weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some good uses for fruit. I think I might need to make some applesauce. I'm jealous of your orange tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lemon poppy seed muffins were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Banana breads? What a good idea! I like John's spatula.

    ReplyDelete