Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Chinoteague

My roommates from Oxford study abroad planned a reunion in Virginia. I wanted to bring Perry to the East coast to visit family, so we decided to go for both.
Perry was a perfect angel on the flights out. Napped then ate and played quietly and happily.
The businessman next to us said he must travel a lot because he's the best baby he'd ever seen on a flight. I said it was his first time flying, he's just a really easy baby.
Reuinited and it feels so good! We tried out a local creamery
and of course checked out the used bookshop.
The ducks were not shy.
It was so great to be with old friends and feel a little more like my old self.
I had Perry, but it was still a nice break. Friends and family helped watch Scott and Jonah for the long weekend when John was working.
We had a book club and helped Katie with a really interesting interview project for her phd program. We reminisced about SVU and talked about what everyone was up to.
We really could have met up anywhere and had a great time, but Chincoteague was beautiful.

Those townhouses in the background were for sale for around 300k. I don't know what their flood insurance is, but I can't believe you could live on the water for that cheap.
My sweet, happy boy.
We stayed up way late at night talking about books, politics, religion, everything. It's indescribably comfortable to be with your tribe.
We also ate a lot, like any good getaway. This is a Smith island cake. I did not find it as amazing as the hype led me to expect, but that didn't stop me from eating it all.
We went walking on the southern part of the island, but got eaten alive by mosquitoes, drenched in sweat and saw no ponies. The next day was cold and we went north to Assateague and found this beauty.
We were pretty excited.
I'd never even heard of this place until my friends planned the trip, but one of them has dreamed of coming here, so it was a big deal to finally fulfill.
Gorgeous sunset.
Perry and his friend B were good buddies.
We stopped at the beach again.
I could've stayed there all day, but it was cold and windy.
Perry's cheeks chapped and he gasped in the wind.
I stopped for gas on the way back to our rental house and it was the cutest old fashioned station.
We drove past the NASA facility on the island. I'm holding out for John to somehow be sent there for work so I can go back with him.

Perry sleeping in the pack and play. He did pretty well sleeping considering the time change and lack of any semblance of a schedule.
It was great having baby-friendly friends to help out. Katie is a baby whisperer. Both the kids love her.
They also made up the beds and grocery shopped since I arrived last, then they stayed and cleaned the house so I could leave early and have more time with my family.
I didn't realize how much I needed this trip until I went. It was rejuvenating and I'm already looking forward to the next one.

1 comment:

  1. Aww you deserve a getaway girl. I'm happy you had a good time. Perry wins VIP too.

    ReplyDelete