Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

San Rafael

We had a free night stay from hotels.com and an anniversary to celebrate, so John planned a little getaway to San Rafael. You may be wondering, "What's in San Rafael?" Well we went exploring to find out. 
John's goal for the trip was, naturally, to eat good food. Mine was to take a bath. I know that's weird, but we only have a shower and I love baths. So we went to the Embassy Suites where they have bathtubs and a cook-to-order buffet breakfast. Plus a waterfall and koi pond in the lobby. Fancy! 
 We toured the Civic Center because it was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. 
 It's featured in the movie Gattaca.
 And looks like it belongs in Tomorrowland. 
 Next we went to the China Camp state park and walked one of the trails.
 Crepevine was one of the places John found online and they did not disappoint. We tried the tri-berry crepe with nutella. Yum.
 We went up to Point Reyes afterward and it was beautiful.
 I love John's hair. It was windy.
Speaking of windy, we went to see the lighthouse and the higher we climbed the colder it became.
 It was worth the hike, though, because we saw the sunset from the top.
Luckily the stairs to the lighthouse itself were closed, because I'm sure John would have made us go see it and the sign said it's 30 flights' worth and there's no alternative way back but up.
 We found out why it was so cold up there. It's the windiest point on the Pacific Coast.
 It felt like it, too.
 So there you have it. San Rafael is a pretty cool place to visit. 
We had a fun time and made it back home in time to join in Katie's birthday celebration.

3 comments:

  1. It looks like it was a fun trip. And I'm really glad you could make it back in time for my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun trip. I would like to go there some day. Happy anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many wonderful pictures! I have to say that the one with John anticipating the eating of the tri-berry crepe is pretty classic. I can almost see his taste buds warming up. The civic center designed by Frank Lloyd Wright looks pretty amazing, and I like the waterfall in the hotel you stayed at. But the most enticing thing about San Rafael (for me) is the view of the ocean. Perhaps I shall have to go for a visit.

    ReplyDelete