Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

MLK Day in the City

John gets Martin Luther King, Jr. Day off at his new company, so we booked the Celebration train into San Francisco. This time there was a group who came through and did a little speech and sang songs in each compartment. It was really beautiful and set the perfect tone for the day.
There was a much bigger turnout for the march this year. We were thinking last year was probably the biggest, but we missed it.
We talked to the boys about Dr. King and why we celebrate him and his work. 
We walked down to the piers and had Gott's for lunch. Then the boys watched skateboarders while we waited for the bus.
It wasn't coming very often because of the holiday, so we went to the train station instead.
There was a tiny wedge of space to sit and Scott asked if he could go sit down. I said yes and he climbed on the space between the people and sat in the middle. It never would've occurred to me to do that. 
His brothers joined him and then I had to make sure they weren't bothering people, so I passed them the tablet.
Perry took a late nap on the train ride home.
I checked out some library books to help explain the civil rights movement to the boys and one of them had a recording of the "I Have a Dream" speech that we listened to. I love San Francisco, I love family outings and I love teaching my kids about important topics, so it was a great day all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment