Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Big Sur

After the holiday weekend craziness, we drove down to check out Big Sur. We tried to get our moms to come, but mine went out of town and John's was just getting home, then last minute Karen figured out a way to join us. We love having an extra person on our trips and appreciate her help.
Our first stop was Point Lobos.
I loved needing jackets! I love overcast weather!
We took a trail to the water. The boys were being sweet and silly after being in the car for several hours.
Ocean!

Jonah did a great job walking by himself, which he doesn't always want to do. He was not as cautious by the edge as I prefer, though, so I was anxious the whole time.
That's me helicoptering.
Scott's nerves take after mine, so I don't worry as much about him falling.
It's a beautiful reserve and was fun to walk around .

Next we drove down to McWay Falls. I was a little less nervous here because there were at least railings.
It's a really beautiful cove and easy walk.
We went to the end of the path and saw the remains of a house and funicular.
Finally we went to Pfeiffer Beach, home of the purple sand.
The boys copied other kids and climbed to the top of this hill to run down.
Scott went full speed
and biffed it.
I made John run down with Jonah after that. 
Then he played happily with Grandma in the water.
Scott steered clear of the cold water.
Jonah stripped down and got soaked through.
Fun and brave grandma.
Love that happy face

Perry slept through the outing.


John exploring
The tide was changing, making the walk back to the beach trickier.
I took pictures for two acrobats who were doing cool tricks together. Then one offered to take a picture for us.

We dressed Jonah in warm, dry clothes and went to try a new restaurant a friend recommended to me--Little Napoli in Carmel. It was worth the long wait for a the delicious dinner. It's not really a family-oriented town, though, so I'd like to go back kid-free sometime. 
After that we went to our hotel in Monterey and washed a pound of sand off the boys before bed. It was a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Love the action shots with the exuberant Jonah. I hope Scott wasn't hurt or scared as he slid downhill on his belly. It probably would have been more fun with a sled. We used to roll--not run--down hills when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete