Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Perry's First Day


My blood pressure was high at my 38 week appointment, so my doctor had me come in at 39 weeks. It had only gone up, so I was sent straight to the hospital to be induced. I was pretty upset driving over, but composed myself in the bathroom before checking in. I've never had time to take a last pregnancy picture, so I took a classy selfie at the hospital around noon.
John arrived while everything was still being set up and at 2:23 they started the pitocin. It was a long and painful day. By night I was on blood pressure medicine and magnesium for severe pre-eclampsia. The side effects are awful and I was miserable.
Eventually the baby came down enough where they could break my water and not risk his cord prolapsing. I had them turn off the pitocin because I was writhing in pain. The nurse was really pushing an epidural, but I tried a painkiller in my iv first. It took the edge off the contractions for about an hour, which was nice, but made me even loopier and out of it.
By 1:45am I felt nausea and pressure with contractions, but hadn't progressed in hours and was still at 6cm. The doctor agreed to let me try laboring on my own for 2 more hours before turning the pitocin back on. At 2:10 John and Karen were sleeping in chairs by me and I texted Melody about how discouraged I felt. Eventually the nurse left so I could try and rest. I had 2 stronger contractions with pressure and thought I should call her back in, but couldn't focus enough to do anything. A 3rd one came and I could feel the baby coming, so I called out John's name and told him to get the nurse. He ran and called for her in the hall and came back in while the baby's head came out. I was yelling and my body just started pushing a second time while the nurse came in and caught his body at 2:54am. The doctor showed up for the placenta and stitches.
The nurse said she'd only been gone 10 minutes. 
I was exhausted and still feeling loopy, but so glad the delivery was over and I had the sweetest little baby to snuggle.
After about 20 minutes I let John have a turn.
He weighed 6 lbs, 6.8oz and was 19" long.
Karen went home to watch Jonah and Scott so my mom could go to work. She brought them in before preschool to meet the baby.
Jonah said he has tiny thumbs (fumbs) and tiny fingers
and a tiny nose.
Scott said the baby is his best friend now, too.
We decided on the name Perry David Crapo and I felt like it fit him right away.
Jonah called him Perry David Crapo all day and sometimes my baby.
Grandma had a turn to hold the little angel.
I took a bunch of pictures on my phone
Once a room opened up, they moved us to the mother/baby area, which was nicer. I was still on magnesium and had to stay in bed, so I passed time napping and holding Perry.
Karen took Scott to preschool and Jonah napped, then she brought them and Marva back to visit.
My mom came to visit after work and Amanda came by when she got home from her trip to Washington, but I guess we didn't take any pictures with them. And that was our first 24 hours with Perry!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for your ordeal, but so glad you got the doctor to do what you thought was right. And what a beautiful boy you got for your efforts! Great photos all around; you should frame the one with Karen and Perry and give it to her for Grandparents Day!

    ReplyDelete