Saturday, July 4, 2015

Alaska III: Tuesday

After a few hours off the boat on Monday, Jonah wouldn't eat lunch and then had another unpleasant diaper. I took him down to see the nurse, who gave us an electrolyte drink and isolated him to the room for 24 hours.
John took Scott around to keep him from going crazy and Jonah was not happy. When he was sick and sleepy over the weekend, being in the room wasn't so bad, but after a nap he was acting normally other than going stir crazy.
Long story short, on Tuesday the new nurse wanted him to stay in the room another day even though he hadn't had any symptoms and eventually I fought our way out of there.
The sun was so bright after Jonah and I spent 24 hours in a dark room.
Scott was so happy to be out and running around again.
Jonah wanted to be carried, partially because he always likes John's shoulders, but he was probably also low on energy because he'd been eating only bananas, crackers and rice for several days now.
The port was called Icy Strait Point. By the time Jonah was cleared by the doctor it was afternoon, but we took advantage of the little time we had by walking the trail through the beautiful woods.
We took the main path to the beach.
I set the timer and took our first healthy-looking family picture on the trip.
Scott found a hole.
We crossed the rocks
to the ocean.
Jonah found a boat.
Scott found mussels
and seashells.
John found eagles.
The whole place was gorgeous and I'm glad I was insistent about letting us off the ship because an hour later we would have missed the whole stop.
We saw totem poles
and toured the salmon cannery museum.
Then we waited in a long line to take a tender back to the cruise boat. 
I took Scott down to throw some more rocks while John and Jonah held our place in line.
He threw dozens of them before saying, "ok, now it's Jonah's turn!" 
He started walking back up to the pier to trade his brother places.
I stopped him for a picture first.
Such a cute cheese.
Jonah was not interested in playing, so we waited together and took the tender back. The boys both liked the "little boat."
We went back and played in the kids room where they had lots of kids books. Once again we were the only ones there.
That night we dressed up for the formal dinner.
Our tablemates loved the kids and encouraged us to bring them with us. I asked Scott his preference and he wanted to eat with us, so we decided to try it out and drop them off if they became rowdy.
The server brought them fruit, chips with guacamole, bread, and water as soon as we arrived.
Even in his matching hat and bowtie, the server called Jonah "Scott's little sister."
Jonah didn't make it very long before we took him to childcare.
They made chef hats.
He loved playing with the toys and caregivers, but was also excited about being picked up after babysitting.
Our server had Jonah's dinner sent to the room for "her" to finish later.
He mostly only wanted fruit. Shocker.


  1. Could there be a sadder face than Jonah waiting by the door? I'm glad the virus didn't interfere too much with your trip.

  2. So sad to get sick on your trip! But the scenery that you did get to see looks beautiful. You guys look so nice dressed up for your formal nights.